- College of Osteopathic Medicine
- » Clinical Skills & Simulation Center
- » Continuing Medical Education
- » Residency and Fellowship Programs
- » COM @ Cherokee Nation
- Graduate Programs
- » School of Allied Health
- » School of Biomedical Sciences
- » School of Health Care Administration
- » School of Forensic Sciences
- » Physician Assistant Program
- About Us
Department of Family Medicine
Family Medicine is the relationship between practitioner and families where the physician provides continuous care for all members of the family regardless of the number of illnesses encountered. The Department of Family Medicine at OSU emphasizes hands-on training in ambulatory care that closely parallels those settings students are likely to encounter as practicing physicians.
The philosophies expressed in osteopathic medicine and in the Department of Family Medicine include:
- A holistic approach to health that includes all members of the family regardless of their disease process
- An emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention
- A focus on primary care
- People-oriented rather than disease-oriented care.
OSU has a long-standing tradition of training family physicians to meet the health care needs of Oklahomans, particularly those in rural and underserved areas. Our curriculum is heavily-oriented toward primary care.
The family medicine residency programs are both three-year post graduate medical programs and ACGME accredited with Osteopathic Recognition.
Department of Family Medicine faculty are committed to providing outstanding educational opportunities for osteopathic medical students.
OSU family medicine physicians provide osteopathic patient care at OSU clinics throughout the Tulsa area, promoting health and well-being for families.