- About Us
Native OKStars Summer Research Program
The Native Oklahoma Science Training and Research Students program is designed to encourage American Indian students, in their junior or senior year, to pursue a career in the medical field and contains a cultural component from the Office for American Indians in Medicine and Science.
- Participate in a research atmosphere that is usually reserved for graduate students
- Work with a Native American faculty mentor and medical student mentor
- Learn about the various paths to medical school and careers in STEM
- Participate in Research Day at OSU Center for Health Sciences as well as the City of Tulsa Research Day.
- Fill out the online application
- Request a current high school transcript be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ask your high school counselor or principal to complete the school approval form
For more information contact us at email@example.com
Students applying to the NativeOKStars Summer Research Program must meet the following requirements:
- Have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA in a rigorous high school curriculum
- Be a high school junior or senior
- Meet any other requirements are listed on the application form
- Forensic Sciences: DNA/Biology, Toxicology, Psychology
- Biomedical Sciences: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Vertebrate Paleontology
- Data Mining: Statistics, Data Analytics and Innovation, Rural Health Trends
All applications will be reviewed by an OSU Center for Health Sciences’ faculty selection committee, and decisions will be based on merit, taking into account all information provided by applicants.
The summer research experience is extensive and each scholar is expected to:
- Participate between 20-25 hours per week (Monday through Friday) during the program duration.
- Schedules can be flexible depending on the faculty and medical student mentor. Applicants should be aware of the requirements and time commitments.
- Participants are required to attend weekly lunches and discussions. These are currently scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays at noon.
All program fees will be covered by OSU Center for Health Sciences at no cost to the student.
Housing and transportation are not provided.